Monday, November 16, 2009

Getting There


"Under these circumstances, I cannot let you enter the plane", I was told at Duesseldorf Airport.
Nice. That´s how a trip should start. The DELTA Airlines supervisor found out that I do not have a return ticket getting me out of Venezuela, which is true, as I am going to leave Venezuela by bus. Due to some imigration restrictions, I would need a return ticket or I might not be able to enter Venezuela. At least that was what I was told. I had 20 minutes to get a ticket for a flight, that I would never use. 10 minutes and three-hundred-fucking-fifty dollars plus ticketing fee later, I had that ticket. So now I could leave Germany towards Atlanta, Georgia, where I had a connecting flight to Caracas, Venezuela.

Many hours later, and with 2 hours delay, I arrived at Caracas Airport. At midnight. Not exactly what I had in mind. But hey, the return ticket only cost 630 euros, with the return flight being provided from Buenos Aires, Argentina. So arriving at the most dangerous town in South America at midnight, I had to find a safe way to the city center in order not to get robbed by strangers and/or taxi drivers. On my way from Atlanta to Caracas, my seat neighbour was an engineer who was going to Caracas for a job, building up the backbone of venezuela´s cell phone infrastructure. So we chatted, and he was interested in physics, so I explained him how some things work and he was so grateful to give me a free cab-ride into the city (so I saved like 40 dollars or so, *kling*).

well prepared as I always am, I phoned from Atlanta in order to get a reservation at som hostel, but unfortunately, low-budget hostels are rare in Caracas, and the only placed offering shwap accomondation are actually love-motels that offer non-hourly rates to backpackers as well. So that cab brought me to "Nuerstro Hotel", and I was more than happy to find a prison-bars-like entrance door and not to many hockers.

the bed was shitty, the "bathroom" was as good, but I had only one roommate, a cockroach, I killed it, and I wsa alone. Not even a single hocker knocked on my door. So I had a long, decent, 5-hours sleep until the warm air made sleeping impossible.

Bottom line is, you should not expect a warm embrace from Caracas, rather a slap in the face, but hey, at least it keeps you focused. On the other hand, I am THE only backpacker in the city, at least it seems to be like that, so after I had a delicious breakfast ( I mean it) I will now head on to some beach town 2 hours from here called Puerto Colombia in order to get some rest and meet birds of a feather.

No comments:

Post a Comment